How Postpartum Pilates Can Help You Get Back in Shape After Pregnancy
Bringing a new life into the world is an adventure that brings a mix of physical and emotional changes. As a new mom, your body goes through an incredible transformation to nurture and welcome your little bundle of joy. But the postpartum phase also throws in some curveballs as you work to reclaim your pre-pregnancy strength and shape. That’s where the magic of postpartum Pilates comes in.
Whether you’re a new mother or a curious supporter this guide is here to shed some light on how Pilates can transform your post-pregnancy journey. Join us to discover how this time-tested practice can help you feel yourself!
What is Postpartum Pilates?
At its core, postpartum Pilates takes into account all those physical changes that happen during pregnancy and childbirth. We’re talking about pregnancy hormones impacting ligaments, the stretching and separation of ab muscles, and the strain on pelvic floor muscles.
But postpartum Pilates has got you covered. These carefully crafted exercises are here to rebuild that core strength, improve your posture, and bring back that body balance in a way that’ll make you feel on top of the world.
The Benefits of Pilates for Postpartum Recovery
Pregnancy can really hit those abs hard, causing diastasis recti – a fancy term for muscle separation. However, engaging in some Pilates for your postpartum belly is an absolute game-changer. It’s all about regaining that glorious core strength, helping those muscles come back together, and giving stability back to your midsection.
Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
Having a baby can also take a toll on your pelvic floor muscles, causing problems like incontinence and discomfort. Luckily, Pilates exercises specifically target those muscles, giving them the strength they need to restore and improve your pelvic health.
Postpartum Pilates is a gentle and low-impact workout perfect for bouncing back after giving birth. The controlled movements will have you feeling the burn without putting excessive strain on your body.
Because these exercises are gentle, you can start doing Pilates as soon as you’re up to it – even within a day or two post-baby. Just keep in mind, it might take a little longer to get back in the game if you had a cesarean section compared to those who had vaginal deliveries. Always talk to your doctor first.
Feeling those postpartum aches and pains? Postpartum Pilates is great at targeting those discomforts head-on, especially back pain. By strengthening the muscles that support your spine, you’ll be feeling fabulous in no time.
Motherhood can really take a toll on your posture. From breastfeeding to carrying around your little one, it’s no wonder things can get a bit wonky. However, this fabulous workout focuses on aligning your body just right, resulting in a posture that’s ridiculously good-looking and pain-free.
Stress Relief and Mind-Body Connection
Taking care of a newborn can be a total rollercoaster ride, both physically and emotionally. But Pilates is a mindful way to fight fatigue and stress, boost your mood, and create that fierce mind-body connection you’ve been craving.
Postnatal Pilates goes beyond the core muscles and gets various muscles in on the action, leading to a toned body. These exercises will bring back that muscle tone you lost during pregnancy and give you a balanced physique that will turn heads.
Pilates Exercises Safe for Postpartum
These exercises are crafted to be gentle yet powerful, targeting your core muscles, pelvic floor, and overall body strength. Don’t forget to tune in to your body’s needs and take it at your own pace. And always chat with your healthcare provider before kicking off any new exercise routine, especially during the postpartum period.
Bridge with a Ball
- Start by lying on your back with your feet close to your hips and a Pilates ball snug between your knees.
- Take a deep breath to prepare for the next move.
- Exhale and flatten your back, smoothly rolling your spine off the mat into a mesmerizing bridge position.
- Pause at the top of the bridge and feel your engaged core and active glutes.
- Lower your hips back down to the floor with grace.
- Ready for more? Repeat five times, focusing on controlled and deliberate motions.
- Lay on your back, with a flat spine and legs in a tabletop position.
- Inhale and smoothly drop one foot towards the mat, keeping that 90-degree angle intact.
- Exhale and engage your abs. Pull that leg back up to tabletop position. Don’t forget to keep that back flat.
- Repeat 10 times on each side.
To make your core sizzle even more, try the same sequence with your legs super straight.
- Get comfy on your back, with your knees bent, legs hip-width apart, and your feet planted firmly on the floor.
- Keep your arms by your side and have just a tad of space between your lower back and the floor.
- Take a deep breath in, and as you exhale, smoothly shift your weight back to the center of your pelvis.
- Feel that tailbone curve upward and let those lower abs engage as your lower back flattens.
- Hold that lower back down like a boss for 5 seconds.
- Take a deep breath in again and let it all go. Allow your pelvis to come back to its starting position.
- Let’s do this 10 times!
Empower Your Postpartum Journey With Pilates
So, is Pilates good for postpartum? Absolutely! It’s designed to tackle your concerns and become a badass routine to rebuild strength, alignment, and overall well-being. With specific exercises and mindful practices, it helps you get back on track after pregnancy, embracing your body’s transformations and boosting your healing powers.
As you embark on your postpartum Pilates adventure, remember that patience, self-care, and self-compassion are the keys to bouncing back. Your incredible journey deserves nothing less than respect and tenderness.
From restoring your glorious core to perfecting your posture, every step you take is a stride towards reclaiming your power and embracing a happier and stronger version of yourself.
Ready to take the next step? Book a kickass Pilates class at New York Pilates and let our experienced instructors guide you through your postpartum fitness journey. Embrace the awesome support, camaraderie, and expert guidance our classes offer as you reclaim your body and feel yourself.